Most companies want to help their employees live healthier, more productive lives but struggle with how to implement a wellness program that fully engages their employees and moves the needle towards a happier workforce. Many companies also struggle with the time it takes to administer a wellness program. They have great intentions about getting their employees involved in their health but often don’t see the engagement that they would like. Traditional wellness programs typically involve biometric screenings and health risk assessments as standard tools to educate and raise awareness about individual health risks. These programs are a critical component of any wellness program because they help prevent chronic disease and identify health risks. The most powerful and successful wellness programs build on these standard offerings and go beyond assessment tools by providing members affordable, on-going wellness services that promote and encourage all aspects of well-being including...
Discover five ways a wellness portal helps build a thriving workforce
Nutrition: Start with Small Changes
Most people want to eat healthier but struggle with making a plan and sticking to it. We often set goals that are overly complicated or we set too many goals and quickly become discouraged when we don’t achieve success.
Create an eating style that can improve your health now and in the future by making small changes over time. Consider changes that reflect your personal preferences, culture and traditions. Think of each change as a “win” as you build positive habits and find solutions that reflect your healthy eating style. Use the 5 tips below to find little victories that work for you.
1. Make half your plate fruits and vegetables - Prepare your fruits and vegetables without sauces, gravies, or glazes to lower the amount of sodium, saturated fat, and added sugars.
2. Make half of your grains whole grains - Find high fiber, whole-grain foods by reading the Nutrition Facts label and ingredients list.
3. Move to low-fat and fat-free dairy - Buy...
Special Message from Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum, US Wellness New York Medical Director
Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day! Let's continue to share the love!
I want to keep celebrating happy and healthy hearts for the rest of February! Here are 5 things every woman must know about keeping their hearts happy and healthy. Please join me in sending this message to all of the amazing women in your life so that we can ensure their hearts beat strongly.
Please copy this and paste to your social networks and ask the women you send it to to do the same.
- Heart disease kills more women than all cancers combined and develops over decades
- It is preventable 80 to 90% of the time - we can do something about it
- Getting your numbers checked and keeping them in range is the key to health
- How you live your life - from what you eat to how you move, how you perceive your world are some of the essentials
- Symptoms of heart disease are often different in women and the diagnosis can sometimes be...
Wear Red on Friday!
Join US Wellness and the LiveRight team in recognition of Wear Red Day this Friday. On Friday, the US Wellness team will join millions of other Americans for National Wear Red Day. Wear your favorite red shirt, or red tie to raise awareness that heart disease—one of the leading causes of death among Americans—is largely preventable. Help us to motivate others to find out their risks and take action to lower them.
The Heart Truth® is a national education program for women that raises awareness about heart disease and its risk factors and educates and motivates them to take action to prevent the disease. The program is sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.